Wednesday 25 June 2014

'Valkyrie'

 Valkyrie
Watercolour / Gouache
24 x 31cm
I can honestly say this is the first time I've painted a badger singing at the opera. No matter how serious I make her expression I still can't help but laugh at her absurd appearance (don't tell her I said that).

In terms of technique I did the usual sepia under-painting then masked everything except the backdrop using tape and cellophane in order to pull out some big brushes and work wet in wet with blues, violets and blacks. (See previous post).

After the damage was done I removed the cellophane and got to work laying in the colours on everything that was left blank, being careful to suggest a warm up-light and blue in the shadows. When I had taken the watercolour as dark as it would go, white and yellow ochre gouache came into play on the extreme highlights (metal specular highlights, skirt, claws, fur etc.) and then gently glazed around the footlights to suggest mist creeping across the stage.

2 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Hi Chris,
I understand what you mean. She makes me smile... Your workmanship is so amazing.. What I would give to sit and watch you paint.
fondly,
Penny

Chris Dunn said...

Thanks Penny :)