At a want for a mangle printing press I tested out a theory today that I've had swilling about in my barren brain after seeing Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. For the moment I'm going to keep quiet about the process but I can show you the results.
There are lots of elements that need revising but overall I'm quite pleased with the final outcome. Unfortunately there was a good amount of tweaking done on photoshop which can take away from the textured plate tone so somehow I have to get the image near finished before digitizing.
Right I'm off to look up the PPPs (printing press prices) :-D
Tuesday 15 February 2011
In comparison to my earlier attempt at the roundtable feature this one was much more successful. I can categorically put this down to better reference photos. I don't know if a professional photographer was used during the session but it looked to me as though a quality camera took the photos rather than a mobile phone. Previously I used reference from a mobile which was a bit of a struggle, the contrasts were poor and often a lot of facial features were blurred.
See Dan dos Santos' post on Muddy Colors about the benefits of good reference models.
Wednesday 9 February 2011
The main illustration at the top was the last thing I worked on - save the best till last and all that. I decided early on, before adding watercolour, to brush in a burnt sienna acrylic underpainting to give the background a warm haze that would react well with ultramarine washes in the shadows. This technique is something I have been developing and hoping to incorporate more into further work. For the reflected light on the windows I used a pale mixture of cerulean and titanium white gouache.