Sunday 13 October 2013
Cotton House - Marlborough College
Cotton House is named after George Edward Lynch Cotton a well known victorian bishop and former headmaster of Marlborough College. Bishop Cotton left the college in 1858 to take up the office of Bishop of Calcutta, India. While in India, Bishop Cotton organised for shipments of clothing especially socks to be delivered to the poor Indian children he encountered on his travels. He would bless the crates of socks as they came in which gave birth to the phrase 'bless his/her little cotton socks'.
The original is now in the ownership of the current house master.