Monday, 19 November 2012

The Alchemist

 The Alchemist
Watercolour & Gouache
31 x 24cm

Completed this morning, and I'm reasonably happy with the final product, especially the lighting. To help me along I created a very simple set with elaborate lighting (a lamp minus the shade) in my living room, put the camera on a timer, threw a blanket over my shoulders and posed inside ten seconds. Going the extra mile for reference can make a huge difference and save time in the long run because you can be confident throughout the painting process.

2 comments:

celia.carlile@gmail.com said...

Chris it's wonderful. Your style reminds me of the work of a very successful, brilliant , Irish illustrator, PJ. Lynch.

Chris Dunn said...

PJ. Lynch is great although all I have of his illustrated books at the moment is 'When Jessie Came Across The Sea'. Thanks for the comparison Celia.