For the first part of this post click here
, and for the second part click here
Finally I was up and running with my brushes (not literally, although I do have wheels on my studio chair so the option is there if needed).
|Under-paintings and then some.|
As is my wont, I began with an under-painting. However, just to be difficult, I began with payne's grey for the station and engine and then moved onto sepia for the characters. This was to re-enforce the difference between the cool station colours and the warmly coloured characters.
After that initial stage, it was a case of blocking in colours to work out the types of clothing. Every now and then I had to grab new reference (thank goodness for Downton Abbey screenshots) but mostly I had a reasonably clear idea of costumes beforehand.
|A series of WIP shots taken over a period of 10 days|
You'll notice in the 'works in progress' photos I tended to concentrate on the foreground characters more than the background. Traditional thinking would be to do this the opposite way, but I found it easier to focus on the main elements first before I lost enthusiasm with the painting and ended up slacking on my quality control. There's nothing worse than a fantastic scene with a poorly painted character sticking out like a sore thumb. Also there were so many elements that really I'm not sure it mattered where I began so long as I eventually finished it.
Speaking of which here is the final painting.
|A Quarter Past One On Platform Ten |
Watercolour & Gouache
50 x 92
3 weeks work in total and my biggest watercolour painting of this series so far.
This is a masterpiece! Awesome!
Thank you Paschalis!
Post a Comment