Well I came back from York to find that the studio elves must have gone on a short holiday too. The painting was in the same state as I left it but at least there were no cat prints on it! I got the paints out and got stuck in until I finished this morning.
There are aspects that have turned out better than expected in 'Jacques' Rest'. For instance depth of colour I achieved in the bottles using gouache to an opaque consistency and the overall colour harmony by using just yellow ochre, ultramarine, cadmium red pale hue and sepia. Unfortunately the jpeg sample looks a bit washed out in comparison to the original so my favourite parts have been diminished - typical (roll eyes).
On the other hand I could completely take my artwork apart in a critique, so to keep it short I've learned more about applying gouache over watercolour and I'll be on the lookout for problems in my detailed drawing before starting on the colour.
I don't want to sound negative because I actually like it - for now ;-)